Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

I was wondering if I could handle Anvil! The Story of Anvil. Before seeing the documentary about the '80s metal band, I didn't know if my mellow, Feist-loving self could take 90 minutes of hard rocking and head banging. But from the film's opening minutes, Anvil! (and Anvil themselves) had me in its leather-gloved grip with its potent mixture of humor and heart.

For the uninitiated (like me), Anvil is a band that inspired the biggest names in '80s rock, including Metallica, Guns N' Roses, and Anthrax. But unlike those heavy metal heavyweights, Anvil never reached superstar status. Instead the two remaining members--Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner--have toiled away ever since, fitting in shows after their days of blue collar work. The glamour of being rock star is gone: Aqua net has been replaced by hairnets, and tour buses have become minivans. But Lips and Robb--trust me, you'll be on a friendly, first-name basis after seeing the film, too--still struggle to achieve what they never could, even though most people have never heard of them.

There are plenty of resemblances--and references--to This is Spinal Tap in Anvil!, but this documentary is proof that you don't need screenwriters to script the jokes. Lips, Robb, and those in their circle are genuine and genuinely funny. For all its heavy metal, Anvil! is lighthearted entertainment at its best. And despite my indie-pop-heavy ipod, I had to stop myself from pumping my fist along with "Metal on Metal." But even with that impulse ignored (at least for my first viewing), it was impossible not to cheer for this deserving film and its talented subjects.

No comments: